1880 Boston Road Apartments
Supporting Homeless and Medically Frail Seniors
We strive to help eliminate homelessness amongst New York City’s senior population, through developing and operating supportive housing programs with on-site social services.
As a continuum of our 100 year tradition of caring for seniors and the most vulnerable New Yorkers, Hebrew Home has expanded into the supportive housing arena, opening its first supportive housing program at 1880 Boston Rd., in the West Farms section of the Bronx. Our housing program takes individuals age 62+ years and medically frail out of the NYC shelter system and into a nurturing an environment, where a myriad of social activities along with case management are offered on site.
We believe that through providing on-site case management with age-related social activities in an aesthetically pleasing and nurturing supportive housing environment, individuals become healthier, engaged, and empowered to live independently. By offering a warm, supportive living environment replete with health and wellness services, numerous enrichment programs and activities, and ongoing holistic support for daily living, we seek to build trusting relationships, re-instill hope and help clients to Live Forward each and every day.
Amenities and Community
- Live-in building superintendent
- Social work team providing ongoing case management
- Large community rooms connected to outdoor terraces
- Program Activities Director
- Two spacious outdoor lounge areas
- Multiple recreational & lounge spaces equipped with smart TV’s and surround sound systems
- State of the art computer center
- Exercise Studio
- Common Space Wifi
- On-Site Laundry rooms
- 24-hour front desk security
- Two elevators
- Bike storage
Apartment Features and Amenities
- 51 Supportive Studio and 1 Bedroom Apartments
- All units are accessible for the disabled
- Spacious floor plans
- Full kitchens with stone countertops
- Senior-friendly full bathrooms
- Luxury vinyl flooring
- Window coverings
- Equipped with emergency pull chord and intercom system to security desk 24/7
- Robust supportive services to 51 medically frail, formerly homeless seniors
- Individual and group intensive case management
- Case management geared to acclimate a formerly homeless population from New York City’s shelter system to stable community living
- Support physical and emotional wellness
- Financial Education
- Health services including prevention and maintenance
- Community social engagement
Community and Services
- Conveniently located in West Farm area of the Bronx
- One block from subway/ buses, shopping, and other amenities
- Affiliated with Metro Community Health Centers located within the building for convenient health and wellness care
Weekly Activities & Groups
- Tai Chi
- Nutritional Education
- Wellness Education
- Live music performances
- Dance and movement classes
- Variety of exercise classes
- Arts and enrichment classes
- Trips to local cultural activities, sporting venues, shopping and entertainment
- Current events discussion groups
- Continuing eduation groups and classes
- Computer training
Hebrew Home Supportive Housing
Of the 167 apartments at 1880 Boston Rd., 51 have been specifically set aside to house homeless seniors with chronic medical conditions who currently reside in the NYC shelter system. As part of the newly created Empire State Supportive Housing Initiative (ESSHI), funding for the supportive housing portion is made possible by a grant through the New York State Department of Health.
In addition to providing housing, 1880 Boston Road supportive housing program boasts a full range of social services with a staff comprised of social workers and activities specialists, rendering case management and a full range of weekly holistically-focused activities that keep the mind and body active.
In its supportive housing endeavor, Hebrew Home has partnered with Foxy Management, a Bronx-based property management and development company, with significant expertise in the specialized areas of affordable and supportive housing.
Through its supportive housing program, Hebrew Home is focused on aging in place where the goal is to ensure the appropriate levels of support to improve health outcomes, ultimately reducing the cycle of avoidable hospitalizations, over-utilization of hospital emergency departments and premature nursing home placement.
The mission of Metro Community Health Centers, Inc. is to enable access to and provide high quality, well-coordinated, primary and specialty medical, dental, behavioral, rehabilitation, and ancillary health services. Our focus is on patients who are underserved, with a special commitment to the needs of people with disabilities. We commit to doing our very best to provide culturally-competent services regardless of a patient’s ability to pay.
Metro Community Health Centers offers a wide range of services in four New York City locations. Our physicians, therapists, nurses and support staff are a skilled, committed and compassionate team of healthcare professionals who provide a comfortable and caring atmosphere for all patients.
In accordance with the Federally Supported Health Centers Assistance Act (FSHCAA), the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) deems Metro Community Health Centers to be an employee of the Public Health Service (PHS). We are covered under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) for actions within the scope of deemed employment. A deemed health center, its employees, and eligible contractors working within the approved scope of the project are considered federal employees and are immune from lawsuits for medical malpractice.
In the Press
The existing building at 1880 Boston Road in the Bronx will be built upon to create 168 affordable housing opportunities for low-income and formerly homeless seniors. This project is one of the first to benefit from the city’s Zoning for Quality and Affordability (ZQA) amendment and the first to trigger the Affordable Independent Residences for Seniors (AIRS) provision.